What Should I Do If I Am Hit by an Uninsured or Underinsured Driver in Kansas City?

First, it is essential to prioritize your safety and the safety of others. If anyone has a serious injury, call 911 and seek medical attention immediately. If the car accident is minor and there are no injuries, try to move your vehicle to a safe location off the road to avoid any further accidents.

Once you are safe, gather information from the other driver. This includes their name, phone number, address, and insurance information. If they are uninsured motorists, ask for their contact information and driver’s license number. You should also take pictures of the accident scene and any damage to your vehicle. This evidence can be used later to support your accident claim and establish fault.

How To Handle the Situation If the Other Driver Is Uninsured or Underinsured

If the at-fault driver is uninsured or underinsured, it is natural to feel frustrated and uncertain about how to proceed. In this situation, it is important to remain calm and take the following steps:

Do Not Admit Fault

Even if you believe you were partially at fault for the accident, do not admit fault. This could impact your ability to recover damages later.

Call the Police

Contact the police to report the accident, even if it is minor. The Kansas City police will create an accident report, which can be used as evidence to support your insurance claim.

Contact Your Insurance Company

Your own insurance company will guide you through the claims process and can help you determine if you have uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage in your auto insurance policy.

How Insurance Can Help

Your own insurance company can assist you in making an uninsured motorist claim. If you have uninsured coverage, your insurer should help cover costs, even if it was caused by an uninsured motorist or a hit-and-run accident.

It is important to be honest with your insurer. Provide them with all the information you have gathered, including the other driver’s contact and insurance information, the police report, and any pictures you took of the accident scene.

Why Shouldn’t I Drive Without Insurance?

If you get in a car accident and you do not have insurance, you are responsible to pay for any damages yourself. You could be charged for driving without insurance, have your license suspended, be fined, or even go to jail.

How Much Insurance Coverage Should I Have?

Both Kansas and Missouri law require drivers to carry a minimum of $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident in liability coverage, as well as $25,000 in coverage for property. In addition, you are required under state law to carry $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident in uninsured motorist coverage.

Uninsured drivers pose a significant risk to themselves and others on the road. Underinsured drivers, while they may have some personal injury protection, do not have enough insurance to cover a serious accident. In this case, your own insurance policy will have to cover damages caused by the negligent driver.

What Is Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverage?

Uninsured motorist coverage is a type of auto insurance that provides financial protection to drivers when they are involved in a car accident caused by an uninsured driver. If you are hit by an uninsured driver, your insurance will cover your medical expenses and damage to property up to the limits of your policy.

Underinsured motorist coverage is similar. It applies when the driver of the other vehicle has some insurance, but not enough to cover the full extent of the damages. Underinsured coverage provides additional coverage to help pay for the remaining expenses after the other driver’s insurance has been exhausted.

Why Should I Have Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverage?

According to a report by the Insurance Research Council, one in eight drivers in the United States does not have insurance. In Missouri, the uninsured driver rate is even higher, with nearly one in six drivers on the road without insurance. Car accidents involving drivers without sufficient liability insurance is therefore sadly common.

Without this type of car insurance, you may be left paying for significant medical bills, property damage, and other expenses related to a car accident caused by an uninsured driver. Having uninsured motorist coverage in Kansas City can provide you with peace of mind, knowing that you and your passengers are protected in case of an accident involving an uninsured, underinsured motorist.

When To Seek Legal Help

While your auto insurance company may be able to help you recover some compensation through an uninsured motorist claim, there are situations where seeking legal help may be necessary. You may have missed work, be facing bills from personal injuries, and have other expenses that your car insurance policy does not fully cover. In such cases, it may be worthwhile to consider seeking legal help.

A personal injury attorney experienced in car accident claims, can help you evaluate your options and determine the best course of action to take. These attorneys often provide a free consultation to evaluate your claim against the uninsured, underinsured motorist.

How To Choose an Experienced Personal Injury Attorney

Choosing the right attorney for a personal injury claim is crucial in ensuring that your legal rights are protected and that you receive a fair settlement. When looking for an attorney in Kansas City, choose someone from a law firm with experience and a good track record.

Uninsured driver attorneys who specialize in personal injury cases and motor vehicle accidents involving uninsured motorist claims will be your best bet. If you’ve been in a car crash with an underinsured driver in Kansas City, seeking legal help with your personal injury claims may be necessary to ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve.

What To Expect During the Legal Process

If you decide to seek legal help following an uninsured motorist accident, your attorney will guide you through the legal process. They will investigate the car accident, gather evidence, and negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf.

In some cases, they may need to file a lawsuit to recover compensation from an uninsured driver, especially if there have been serious injuries. Throughout the process, your attorney will keep you informed and answer any questions you may have.

If you have suffered serious bodily injury due to a negligent driver in Kansas City, insurance policies alone may not be enough to cover your expenses. Contact Wendt Law Firm at 816-542-6734 to schedule your free case evaluation and see how your car accident claim can be settled fairly.

Other Car Accident FAQs

What Should I Expect During a Car Accident Lawsuit in Kansas City, Including the Timeline and Process?

Should I Go to The Doctor in Kansas City After a Car Wreck Accident?

Should I Hire A Lawyer After A Car Accident?

What Can I Do if I am The Victim of a Hit and Run Accident in Kansas City?

What Evidence Do I Need to Gather After a Car Accident in Kansas City to Support My Personal Injury Claim?

What Happens When an Insurance Claim is Made Against You?

What Should I Do if I am Injured in a Car Accident?

What Should I do if I Caused a Car Accident and Don’t Have Car Insurance?

What Should I Do If the Insurance Company Denies My Car Accident Claim or Offers a Low Settlement Amount?

Who Determines Who Is at Fault in a Car Accident?

Who is Liable in a Car Accident?

Will a Hit and Run Claim Raise My Insurance?

Can I Sue If I Was Determined at Fault in a Car Accident?


  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.